Five Ear Abnormalities Corrected With Ear Pinning Surgery
Most of us are familiar with the benefits of rhinoplasty for enhancing nose shape or facelift for reversing signs of aging, but you may not have heard of otoplasty. This transformative procedure is designed to correct a number of cosmetic and structural concerns regarding the ears. For men, women, and children who experience anxiety or low self-esteem based on the appearance of their ears, otoplasty – commonly known as ear pinning surgery – can be life-changing. The expert team of plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Reston, VA is dedicated to helping patients finally feel comfortable and confident about their ears with the most advanced ear surgery techniques and technologies available. Discover how ear pinning works here, including what it is used for and what kinds of results you can expect.
What is ear pinning?
Formally known as otoplasty, ear pinning is a primarily cosmetic ear correction surgery that aims to resize, reshape, and/or reposition the ear(s) for a more appealing, natural, and proportionate look that complements the face.
What does otoplasty do?
While otoplasty is frequently used to “pin” protruding ears closer to the head, there are a number of additional applications for the procedure. Five common concerns that can be addressed or corrected with otoplasty in Northern Virginia include:
1. Protruding ears: Perhaps the most common reason for ear pinning surgery is having ears that stick out. Many children experience teasing or bullying associated with protruding ears, and even adults often struggle with low self-esteem associated with prominent ears.
2. Misaligned ears: Even a subtle misalignment of the ears can have a profound effect on the overall appearance of a person’s face or profile, particularly when wearing glasses or sunglasses.
3. Misshapen ears: Whether due to genetic deformity, trauma, or another occurrence, misshapen ears can understandably leave patients feeling self-conscious.
4. Asymmetric ears: Oftentimes, patients have asymmetric ears that can be corrected with otoplasty. In some cases, surgery may only need to be performed on one ear, though many patients still require bilateral otoplasty in order to achieve an ideal, natural-looking, symmetric result.
5. Disproportionate ears: Even when there is no glaring abnormality with the ear shape itself, some patients simply feel that their ears do not fit in with the rest of their facial features. Whether your ears are too big, too small, or otherwise disproportionate, otoplasty can help create harmony between your features.
Is ear pinning permanent?
Though cosmetic surgery cannot stop the aging process completely, patients who undergo ear pinning by a highly skilled and experienced plastic surgeon should be able to enjoy their results for many, many years – if not indefinitely.
What is the best age for ear pinning?
Unlike many other cosmetic procedures, otoplasty can be performed on patients at virtually any age. Most often, parents choose to have their children undergo ear pinning surgery before starting grade school in order to avoid teasing or other social issues. However, countless men and women seek otoplasty later in life after having been unhappy with their ears for decades. In some cases, protruding or misshapen ears can be corrected during infancy without the need for surgery by using specialized splints or molds. During your initial consultation for ear pinning in Northern Virginia, your knowledgeable surgeon at Austin-Weston will carefully evaluate and discuss your concerns and determine whether otoplasty is right for you.
Stop hiding your ears once and for all. Ear pinning surgery in Reston, VA can give you the natural look and confidence you deserve!
Every person deserves to feel comfortable and confident in their own skin. When it comes to a feature as prominent and visible as the ears, being happy with your look is perhaps more important than ever. If you are ready to finally get the natural, beautiful ear shape you’ve always wanted, call the knowledgeable team at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery to schedule your private consultation for otoplasty in Reston, VA with one of our award-winning plastic surgeons. For your convenience, we are proud to offer both in-person and virtual appointments. We look forward to helping you achieve your ideal cosmetic goals with Northern Virginia ear surgery!