Who Are The Best Candidates For Rhinoplasty Surgery?
With its long list of potential benefits for men, women, and young adults, it’s no surprise that rhinoplasty is one of the most popular procedures across the country year after year. However, some patients may be better candidates for nose surgery than others. The internationally recognized team of plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Reston, VA has unmatched experience in the most advanced and cutting-edge rhinoplasty techniques and is proud to offer a wide array of nasal procedures to help patients with even the most complex cosmetic and functional concerns. Discover the possibilities of rhinoplasty in Northern Virginia, and learn if you may be an ideal candidate for nose surgery.
What is rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty can refer to cosmetic nose surgery, functional nose surgery, or a procedure that addresses both types of concerns. During rhinoplasty, the surgeon combines a series of techniques to alter the various structures of the nose and improve breathing, sculpt a new nose shape, or otherwise enhance the overall appearance and function of the nose.
What are the benefits of rhinoplasty?
One of the most exciting aspects of nose surgery is that it can be used to correct a virtually endless list of complaints and concerns, including:
- Size of nose
- Shape of nose
- Nose is too large
- Nose is too wide
- Nose is too narrow
- Bump in bridge of nose
- Asymmetric or crooked nose
- Nostril size
- Bulbous nasal tip
- Upturned nose (“pig nose”)
- Hooked tip of nose
- Difficulty breathing
- Deviated septum
- Disrupted sleep/snoring
- Low self-esteem related to appearance of nose
Am I a good candidate for rhinoplasty?
To qualify for nose surgery in Northern Virginia, patients should be:
- In good health
- Have a fully developed nose (typically, age 16 – 18 or older)
- Have cosmetic and/or functional concerns regarding the nose
- Have realistic expectations for their results
During your initial consultation at Austin-Weston, your surgeon will thoroughly evaluate and discuss your concerns and determine whether you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. If you do qualify for the procedure, your surgeon will then explain all of your surgical options in detail to help decide the most appropriate type of rhinoplasty for you. Some of the most common forms of nose surgery include:
- Open rhinoplasty: involves internal and external incisions to allow the maximum amount of visibility for the surgeon
- Closed rhinoplasty: utilizes incisions within the nose only, minimizing visible scarring
- Ethnic rhinoplasty: typically reserved for patients of certain ethnicities, including Asian, African-American, and Middle Eastern, who wish to enhance their nose while maintaining their cultural identity and other unique features
- Revision rhinoplasty: performed to improve or correct the results of a previously unsuccessful nose surgery or botched procedure
Is rhinoplasty covered by insurance?
In many cases, rhinoplasty is considered an elective procedure, performed solely for cosmetic reasons. However, some patients may qualify for insurance coverage for rhinoplasty when the procedure is performed for health-related concerns and is deemed medically necessary. If you are interested in learning more about whether you may be entitled to insurance benefits for rhinoplasty, our knowledgeable patient coordinators can help you learn more about your options and assist you in submitting the appropriate paperwork to your insurance provider.
Improve your breathing, enhance your look, and boost your self-confidence with rhinoplasty in Reston, VA
If you are excited about the thought of having nose surgery to make breathing easier or correct a cosmetic flaw, you may be an ideal candidate for rhinoplasty in Northern Virginia. To learn more about how rhinoplasty can help you achieve your goals, call the friendly team at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery to schedule your private in-person or virtual consultation with one of our renowned plastic surgeons today!