Top Five Reasons To Get A Breast Lift If You Have Drooping Breasts
For women of all ages, the size, shape, and overall appearance of their breasts play an important role in their confidence and sense of femininity. Being happy with your breasts can give you a higher level of self-esteem that impacts all areas of your life, leading to improved relationships, professional success, and more. Unfortunately, many of life’s events – such as pregnancy, breastfeeding, and weight loss – can negatively affect the breasts. Loss of breast volume, sagging skin, and a deflated breast shape are just a few of the common problems that plague most women at some point in their lives. The caring team of highly experienced board-certified plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery understands the significant role that a woman’s physique plays in her sense of self and is dedicated to helping Northern Virginia patients achieve their ideal breast contour through breast lift surgery.
What is a breast lift, and how does it work?
A breast lift is a cosmetic procedure designed to improve the position and shape of sagging or drooping breasts, predominantly through the removal of excess skin. During a breast lift, the surgeon will make an incision on the breast. Most often, a breast lift is accomplished using a lollipop incision, which goes around the perimeter of the areola and vertically down the center of the breast. The surgeon will then excise a section of skin, reposition the breast tissue, and secure the remaining skin together with sutures to effectively lift and recontour the breast.
In many cases, breast augmentation is performed in conjunction with a breast lift to restore lost breast volume while also lifting the breasts to a higher, more youthful position. In other cases, breast lift surgery may be part of a patient’s breast reduction to reduce the size and weight of overly large breasts. While these combination procedures are quite common, a breast lift can certainly be performed as a stand-alone procedure for women who simply desire an improvement in the position and shape of their breasts.
How can a breast lift help me?
During your initial one-on-one consultation at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery, your board-certified surgeon will thoroughly discuss your various concerns as well as what you hope to accomplish through breast lift surgery. For the majority of patients seeking an enhanced breast position and contour, a breast lift is a fantastic option. Five of the most common and compelling reasons that women in Northern Virginia seek breast lift surgery each year include:
1. To fix sagging breasts: Arguably the most common reason for pursuing breast lift surgery is simply because the breasts have begun to droop. This is a frequent occurrence after pregnancy, breastfeeding, or significant weight loss. These events cause the skin to stretch, followed by a subsequent loss of volume, and leave the breasts looking deflated and saggy. Breast lift surgery is a highly effective solution for this frustrating problem.
2. To look more youthful: There is no question that a higher, perkier breast position is associated with younger women. Whether or not a patient has had children or experienced significant weight loss, the aging process alone can take a major toll on the breasts. For these women, a breast lift can help restore a more youthful contour.
3. To raise the position of the nipple: For some women, in addition to experiencing sagging breasts, the nipple itself also begins to droop and point downward over time. As part of breast lift surgery, the nipple can be repositioned to a more natural location and, once again, point upward.
4. To help with skin irritation: A lesser-known issue associated with sagging breasts is the chronic recurrence of skin irritation. When the breasts droop significantly and rest on the body below, the skin underneath can retain sweat and bacteria. This can cause infections, rashes, and other issues to develop. Furthermore, the skin can begin to chafe and become raw and painful for the patient. Removing the excess skin and lifting the breast to a more elevated position can eliminate these problems.
5. To improve their confidence: Whether your nipples point downward or your breasts feel like deflated balloons, the emotional effects of feeling embarrassed by your appearance can wreak havoc on your life. The immediate improvement in your breast position, shape, and contour that can be accomplished by a breast lift can be genuinely life changing. Breast lift patients are, once again, able to confidently wear their preferred styles of clothing, comfortably participate in physical activities, and thrive in their social and professional lives thanks to a newfound confidence.
Regardless of your reasons for considering a breast lift in Northern Virginia, the talented and skillful team at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery is here to help. Call our office today to schedule your consultation with one of our exceptional board-certified plastic surgeons, and discover how a breast lift can help you look and feel younger and more beautiful than ever!