Ten Things To Know About Liposuction Before Your Procedure
Liposuction is one of the most versatile tools in the cosmetic industry. Many women and men who are at their ideal weight struggle with stubborn areas of excess, unwanted fat. When a healthy diet and regular exercise don’t help, individuals can turn to liposuction as the cosmetic solution that can take their body to the next level. Liposuction is the body contouring answer that can sculpt and reshape both men and women for an amazing new look.
Liposuction, also known as lipoplasty, is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed today. The board-certified plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery offer sculpting and contouring expertise to their patients in the Northern Virginia area at their state-of-the-art surgical center. Liposuction can create a more defined appearance for patients in areas including the abdomen, thighs, back, breasts, arms, and neck. If you are considering liposuction, here are the top ten things you should know.
Ten things to know about liposuction
1. In 2017, over 17 million liposuction procedures were performed in the United States, and it seems to rise in popularity every year. Liposuction is a surgical procedure that breaks down the excessive fat just underneath the skin or subcutaneous layer that is resistant to diet and exercise. Liposuction is an effective way to reshape your body with cosmetic help.
2. Liposuction techniques today are very versatile and can be performed on numerous areas of the body. Some typical areas of concern:
Stomach or abdominal area
Flank or "love handle" area
Mid-back or "bra strap" area
Thighs (outer and inner)
Neck or under the chin (double chin)
Female or male breasts
3. Liposuction is not a weight-loss solution for patients. It should be viewed as cosmetic help to reduce fat in certain areas where diet and exercise have not produced the desired results. Working with the board-certified plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery in the Northern Virginia area includes a consultation where a surgeon can assess a patient’s health, target areas, and aesthetic goals to determine the exact amount of fat to be removed to produce optimal body sculpting results.
4. The ideal candidate for liposuction is a healthy, non-smoking adult who is within 10 lbs. of their ideal weight. Patients with excess subcutaneous fat (between the muscle and skin) and good skin elasticity are excellent candidates for liposuction.
5. The liposuction procedure is an outpatient surgery performed while the patient is under general anesthesia. It requires small surgical incisions in the skin to insert a liposuction tool called a cannula into the fat pocket. The cannula is a vacuum or suctioning device that will extract the excess fat and allow the plastic surgeon to sculpt and create a new look for patients.
6. The cannula instrument used in liposuction requires small incisions, so scarring is minimal. The number of scars is based on the number of incision spots needed to address each target area. An experienced plastic surgeon like the ones at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery will discuss the surgical contouring plan before the procedure and minimize scarring when possible.
7. The surgical procedure and recovery period will vary by patient. Depending on the number of target areas and the amount of fat extracted, your surgeon will tailor the experience for your personal surgical plan.
8. In most cases, patients can return to work or normal activities within 2 – 4 weeks or less. Again, this varies by patient and the amount of body contouring help performed. Rest, hydration, and taking care of yourself during the recovery process will allow for fewer complications and faster healing. Compression garments may be recommended by your surgeon to help with the recovery process. Swelling and bruising in the target areas will subside after a couple of weeks.
9. Body contouring with liposuction permanently removes unwanted fat cells. However, if patients gain weight after the procedure, new fat cells can still form. Maintaining a healthy diet and regular exercise routine will help prevent a patient’s liposuction results from being altered.
10. As with any cosmetic procedure, a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive liposuction experience should perform your liposuction. Seeking out an experienced, qualified plastic surgeon like those at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery is the first step in getting the liposuction results you deserve.
Liposuction can provide dramatic results for both women and men. The board-certified plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery can help you diminish those unwanted pockets of fat for a slimmer, shapelier figure. The results of cosmetic body contouring speak for themselves, as patients are left feeling and looking better than ever. If you are interested in liposuction help or any other type of body sculpting procedure, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Reston, VA, today.