When most people think of breast surgery, breast augmentation is what initially comes to mind. However, even with society’s emphasis on larger breasts as a sign of beauty, more women each year are making the choice to undergo breast reduction surgery. There are a variety of reasons that may lead a woman to pursue a breast reduction, including physical issues and lifestyle limitations. The board-certified plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Reston, VA have helped numerous Northern Virginia women achieve a more balanced figure and improved quality of life through breast reduction surgery. To find out how a breast reduction may benefit you, it is important to first have an understanding of the procedure, the symptoms associated with overly large breasts, and the potential results of a breast reduction.
What is a breast reduction?
Breast reduction surgery is a procedure designed to remove breast tissue and excess skin, resulting in more appropriately sized breasts for a patient’s frame and lifestyle. During the procedure, excess breast tissue is removed, and the breasts are lifted by excising the loose skin and repositioning the breasts. Liposuction is often combined with a breast reduction to further enhance a patient’s results.
How can a breast reduction help me?
The most dramatic benefit of a breast reduction is the elimination of a patient’s physical symptoms. Women who undergo a breast reduction procedure typically enjoy permanent relief from aches, pains, and discomfort that may have been present for years. In addition to the physical benefits of a breast reduction, patients are able to more comfortably participate in physical activities, wear certain styles of clothing, and feel confident in their own skin.
What are the signs I might need a breast reduction?
Patients with overly large breasts may suffer from a long list of symptoms. Some of the complaints that most commonly lead women to pursue a breast reduction include:
- Aches and pains: Pain in the neck, shoulders, and back are classic symptoms of overly large breasts. The burden placed on the muscles and joints can be compared to carrying a heavy backpack 24 hours a day
- Bra strap marks: Gravity from the weight of the breasts can pull the bra down, causing deep and painful indentations along the bra line and bra straps
- Numbness: The weight of excessively heavy breasts can pull on the nerves, leading to numbness or tingling in the hands and fingers
- Loss of nipple sensation: Tension in the nerves caused by the weight of the breasts can lead many women to lose sensation in their nipples
- Rash and irritation: A lesser-known complication of overly large breasts is the frequent development of rashes, irritation, and even yeast infections in the creases underneath the breasts
- Lifestyle limitations: Patients with extremely large breasts may experience discomfort during everyday activities including exercise, and it can be difficult to find clothing and undergarments that fit appropriately
- Psychological distress: Many women with breasts that are disproportionate to their frames have low self-esteem and a lack of confidence
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms related to large breasts, a breast reduction may be a fantastic option for you. The compassionate team at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery understands the sensitive nature of your situation and will treat each case with an exceptional level of care and discretion. The goal of a breast reduction procedure by one of our board-certified plastic surgeons is to safely and effectively reduce the size of your breasts in order to improve your appearance and quality of life.
Am I a good breast reduction candidate?
In general, ideal candidates for a breast reduction are:
- In overall good health
- Experiencing physical or emotional issues associated with their breasts
- Seeking a more proportionate silhouette
- Finished having children and breastfeeding
- At or near their ideal weight
While these are general guidelines for determining whether a woman is a good candidate for a breast reduction and lift, the best way to find out whether the procedure is right for you is to be evaluated by a qualified, experienced plastic surgeon.
Call Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Northern Virginia to schedule your consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons today, and learn more about how a breast reduction procedure can give you relief from your pain, boost your confidence, and change your life in a dramatic way.