How To Know If Breast Reduction Is Right For You
When most people think of breast surgery, breast augmentation is what initially comes to mind. However, even with society’s emphasis on larger breasts as a sign of beauty, more women each year are making the choice to undergo breast reduction surgery. There are a variety of reasons that may lead a woman to pursue a breast reduction, including physical issues and lifestyle limitations. The plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Reston, VA have helped numerous Northern Virginia women achieve a more balanced figure and improved quality of life through breast reduction surgery. To find out how a breast reduction may benefit you, it is important to first have an understanding of the procedure, the symptoms associated with overly large breasts, and the potential results of a breast reduction.
What is a breast reduction?
Breast reduction surgery is a procedure designed to remove breast tissue and excess skin, resulting in more appropriately sized breasts for a patient’s frame and lifestyle. During the procedure, excess breast tissue is removed, and the breasts are lifted by excising the loose skin and repositioning the breasts. Liposuction is often combined with a breast reduction to further enhance a patient’s results.
How can a breast reduction help me?
The most dramatic benefit of a breast reduction is the elimination of a patient’s physical symptoms. Women who undergo a breast reduction procedure typically enjoy permanent relief from aches, pains, and discomfort that may have been present for years. In addition to the physical benefits of a breast reduction, patients are able to more comfortably participate in physical activities, wear certain styles of clothing, and feel confident in their own skin.
What are the signs I might need a breast reduction?
Patients with overly large breasts may suffer from a long list of symptoms. Some of the complaints that most commonly lead women to pursue a breast reduction include:
- Aches and pains: Pain in the neck, shoulders, and back are classic symptoms of overly large breasts. The burden placed on the muscles and joints can be compared to carrying a heavy backpack 24 hours a day
- Bra strap marks: Gravity from the weight of the breasts can pull the bra down, causing deep and painful indentations along the bra line and bra straps
- Numbness: The weight of excessively heavy breasts can pull on the nerves, leading to numbness or tingling in the hands and fingers
- Loss of nipple sensation: Tension in the nerves caused by the weight of the breasts can lead many women to lose sensation in their nipples
- Rash and irritation: A lesser-known complication of overly large breasts is the frequent development of rashes, irritation, and even yeast infections in the creases underneath the breasts
- Lifestyle limitations: Patients with extremely large breasts may experience discomfort during everyday activities including exercise, and it can be difficult to find clothing and undergarments that fit appropriately
- Psychological distress: Many women with breasts that are disproportionate to their frames have low self-esteem and a lack of confidence
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms related to large breasts, a breast reduction may be a fantastic option for you. The compassionate team at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery understands the sensitive nature of your situation and will treat each case with an exceptional level of care and discretion. The goal of a breast reduction procedure by one of our plastic surgeons is to safely and effectively reduce the size of your breasts in order to improve your appearance and quality of life.
Am I a good breast reduction candidate?
In general, ideal candidates for a breast reduction are:
- In overall good health
- Experiencing physical or emotional issues associated with their breasts
- Seeking a more proportionate silhouette
- Finished having children and breastfeeding
- At or near their ideal weight
While these are general guidelines for determining whether a woman is a good candidate for a breast reduction and lift, the best way to find out whether the procedure is right for you is to be evaluated by a qualified, experienced plastic surgeon.
Call Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Northern Virginia to schedule your consultation with one of our plastic surgeons today, and learn more about how a breast reduction procedure can give you relief from your pain, boost your confidence, and change your life in a dramatic way.