Trust. Experience. Results.
Although there are a variety of nonsurgical cosmetic treatments that are certainly effective, the most dramatic and longest-lasting results are often achieved through surgery. In many cases, however, invasive surgery requiring an incision results in a visible scar. The exceptional team of plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery fully understands the importance of minimizing visible scarring and keeping cosmetic work as discreet as possible. With this in mind, our surgeons take great care to place their incisions in areas where they can be easily camouflaged and concealed, and extra attention is given to postoperative incision care to ensure that scars heal and fade as completely as possible. In fact, many patients are barely able to identify their own scars after they have fully healed!
Use this helpful information from our knowledgeable team to learn more about how to minimize visible scarring and help your incisions heal fully after cosmetic surgery in Reston, VA.
The time it takes an incision to heal and a scar to fade after a surgical procedure can vary from patient to patient depending on a variety of personal factors, including genetics, age, skin type, ethnicity, and others. For example, African-American patients are more likely to develop raised, visible scars - known as keloid scars - than patients of other ethnic backgrounds. The type of procedure performed can also affect how long it takes an incision to heal. Procedures requiring more extensive incisions, such as tummy tuck or lower body lift, may involve a lengthier healing process. Generally speaking, scars will reach their peak level of fading about 18-24 months after a procedure. However, there are some important things you can do to help stimulate the healing process and ensure that your scars fade as completely as possible.
Allowing your body adequate time to rest and recover after cosmetic surgery is essential for complete healing and an ideal outcome. When it comes to your incisions, postoperative care is equally important, but there are some things you can do to give yourself the best possible chance for quick, efficient healing and flat, smooth, faded scars. Use these six tips and tricks to minimize surgical scarring and heal as quickly as possible:
1. Rest: Without a doubt, giving yourself ample time to recover after surgery is one of the best ways to ensure proper healing. Follow your surgeon’s postoperative instructions closely, including any restrictions on activity, to promote efficient healing and avoid stretching or damaging your incisions.
2. Eat a healthy diet: Make sure you are taking in plenty of nutrients and staying hydrated to maximize your body’s ability to fight off infections, generate new cells, and heal your incisions efficiently. Additionally, patients should avoid alcohol consumption and caffeine during the healing process.
3. Keep incisions moisturized: Using moisturizer on your skin is always a good idea, regardless of whether or not you’ve had surgery. When it comes to encouraging proper scar healing and an appealing result, this is even more important. Talk to your surgeon about safe and appropriate moisturizers to use on your incisions.
4. Use recommended products: Silicone strips, Arnica gel, medications, and supplements are among the products that may be recommended to speed up your healing process and soften your scars.
5. Avoid sun exposure: The delicate new skin that is forming as your incisions heal is particularly vulnerable to sun damage.
6. Take preventative measures: Be sure to choose a qualified, experienced, and skilled plastic surgeon to perform your procedure. The team of plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston has decades of experience and takes postoperative scarring extremely seriously. When a procedure is performed properly by a trained surgeon, and when potential scarring is planned for, the results can be truly stunning.
If you have undergone a previous procedure and are unhappy with the appearance of your scars, surgical scar removal, or nonsurgical treatments may be an appropriate solution. Don’t hesitate to ask your surgeon at Austin-Weston about options for scar revision, removal, or treatment to reduce the appearance of a scar that is raised, discolored, or asymmetric.
In a large number of cosmetic procedures performed by the talented, internationally recognized team of plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery, resulting scars are virtually imperceptible. When a visible scar is unavoidable, however, the overwhelming majority of patients consider their stunning results to far outweigh the presence of a scar.
If you are ready to take the next step to enhance your look with cosmetic surgery, or if you have already had a procedure that resulted in an unappealing scar, our team can help. Call Austin-Weston, The Center for Cosmetic Surgery to schedule your private in-office or convenient virtual consultation with one of our plastic surgeons today, and discover how cosmetic surgery in Northern Virginia can give you the body of your dreams with minimal scars!
Our four, board-certified plastic surgeons have over 100 years of combined experience & work together in our dedicated, luxurious center providing combined knowledge on all procedures. Schedule your consultation today to learn how our surgeons can guide you on your journey to aesthetic harmony.