Though we may not always be able to detect exactly why, it is typically easy to discern a woman’s face from a man’s. Facial feminization surgery (FFS) is performed to surgically alter the face's appearance and its features from masculine to feminine as part of the transitioning process. The Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Reston, VA will combine a group of facial plastic surgeries that will make your features smaller, softer, and less angled in order to appear more feminine. Some of the procedures we offer as part of facial feminization surgery include:
- Adam’s apple reduction (tracheal shave)
- Brow lift
- Cheek augmentation
- Chin recontouring
- Forehead recontouring (hairline correction)
- Brow contouring
- Jaw contouring
- Lip lift and reshaping
MTF Facial Feminization Reviews
"Dr Weston is a excellent Dr. He is the best plastic surgeon on the east cost when it comes to facial feminization. I have had numerous surgeries performed by Dr Weston and his staff. Dr Weston and his staff have always been corteous and professional. Chloe"- Anonymous / Healthgrades / Apr 20, 2019
"Dr Weston is the best plastic surgeon on the east cost when it comes to facial feminization surgery. I have had numerous surgeries performed by Dr Weston and his staff and thay have always been more then corteous and professional. Chloe"- Anonymous / RateMDs / Apr 19, 2019
"He is the best surgeon on the east coast for facial feminization - Dr Weston is a incredible plastic surgeon. He is the best surgeon on the east coast for facial feminization. I have had numerous surgeries with Dr Weston without any issue. Dr Weston and his staff have always treated me very courteously and with the upmost professionalism."- F. / RealSelf / Apr 19, 2019
"Dr Weston is a excellent Dr. He is the best plastic surgeon on the east cost when it comes to facial feminization. I have had numerous surgeries performed by Dr Weston and his staff. Dr Weston and his staff have always been corteous and professional. Chloe"- P. / Healthgrades / Apr 20, 2019
"Dr. Weston and his staff are amazing! I had Facial Feminization Surgery six months ago with Dr. Weston and am very pleased with the results. I had the following done: Upper eyelid reduction, Brow reduction, shaping and lift, Rhinoplasty, Fat transfer to cheeks and around my mouth, Chin reduction and shaping, "Adam's apple" reduction. Now when I look in the mirror in the morning, I see me! I am so glad and thankful for the results and my new life. Definitely worth the investment. Thank you, Dr. Weston!"- L.B. / Google / Feb 15, 2018
- Adam’s apple reduction: Also known as a tracheal shave, our plastic surgeon carefully removes thyroid cartilage from the neck to reduce or eliminate the Adam’s apple
- Brow lift: A browplasty raises and/or reshapes the eyebrows so they are higher on the face and have a clear, arched shape
- Cheek augmentation: The mid-face can be made fuller with implants or a fat transfer that increases the projection of the cheeks. A cheek reduction can improve cheeks that are too wide or strong.
- Chin recontouring: A genioplasty or mentoplasty reduces the width and height of the chin while rounding the shape
- Forehead recontouring/reduction: A feminine hairline tends to be lower, so a forehead reduction (also called a hairline lowering, scalp advancement, hairline correction, or forehead recontouring) moves the hairline to create a shorter forehead
- Jaw contouring: For a more feminine jawline, the jawbone is shaved to make the jaw narrower, shorter, and rounder
- Brow contouring: The bony region just deep to the eyebrows is more prominent in men set farther back in women. This area can be contoured by shaving down the bone to make the prominence less noticeable. In patients with a very prominent bony brow, an osteomy is needed to break and set back the orbital bones, and that procedure is not performed here.
- Lip lift and reshaping: To adjust the size and proportion of the upper and lower lips to appear more feminine, the upper lip is reduced and moved higher while the fullness of the lower lip is increased with an implant or fat transfer
- Rhinoplasty: To make a more feminine nose, the length, width, and projection are reduced to best fit the proportions of the patient’s face
Facial feminization surgery can be performed under general or local anesthesia, depending on the procedures that are included in the patient’s plan. Our plastic surgeon will perform the chosen procedures at a fully accredited surgical facility using minimal incisions in less visible locations to improve the final result. Patients may be able to go home after their surgery or they may be kept for observation for 1 – 2 nights. Before the patient goes home, our plastic surgeon will schedule a follow-up appointment and go over aftercare and recovery instructions, including when the patient can return to work and exercise.
Our Austin-Weston team is pleased to provide a select list of cosmetic procedures for transgender patients. We know your needs and cosmetic goals are unique and would love the opportunity to sit down with you to discuss your concerns. During a consult, we can estimate the cost of your procedure and determine if any insurance coverage is possible. Generally, insurance companies do not cover cosmetic procedures, but we offer a variety of finance options that can help make your treatment affordable.
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- From $11,700
- Recovery Time
- 1-2 Weeks
Visible Facial Scars?
All surgeries require incisions that can leave scars, but for facial feminization, our plastic surgeon will use minimal incisions that are placed in easily concealed or camouflaged areas of the face. The surgeon will also help the patient develop and follow a scar management plan that will ensure the surgical incisions heal quickly and flat. In general, patients consider the benefits from facial feminization surgery to be greater than the drawback of small scars.
To improve healing after facial surgery, patients should hold ice packs to their face for a few minutes several times each day. Patients are encouraged to keep their head elevated as much as possible. Be sure to attend the follow-up appointments the plastic surgeon schedules to check healing and progress.
During the patient’s initial consultation, our plastic surgeon will listen to the patient’s needs, concerns, and goals before assessing the face and deciding which procedures will be best in their unique facial feminization surgery. Depending on the patient’s natural face, more or less procedures may be needed to reach the best result.