Though we may not always be able to detect exactly why, it is typically easy to discern a woman’s face from a man’s. Facial feminization surgery (FFS) is performed to surgically alter the face's appearance and its features from masculine to feminine as part of sex reassignment surgery. The Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Reston, VA will combine a group of facial plastic surgeries that will make your features smaller, softer, and less angled in order to appear more feminine. Some of the procedures we offer as part of facial feminization surgery include:
- Adam’s apple reduction (tracheal shave)
- Brow lift
- Cheek augmentation
- Chin recontouring
- Forehead recontouring (hairline correction)
- Jaw contouring
- Lip lift and reshaping
"Austin-Weston is amazing. My first experience with them was in 2007 when I had a life-changing breast reduction. I healed quickly, had minimal scarring and was able to finally buy a shirt that buttoned within weeks of the surgery. 10 years later, I'm still thrilled with the results.For the past year, I've been seeing Savannah for laser hair removal of some hair in undesirable places. Each time, Savannah is incredibly nice and gentle... And there's a noticeable difference each time. After 6 full sessions and a few touch ups, you can't even tell! And after 30 years on this earth, she informed me that I did not have oily skin and switched me over to an Austin-Weston moisturizer that has greatly improved my complexion and made my skin look so much better!The hair removal has greatly improved my confidence and I'm so excited about the results!"- N.C. / Yelp / Dec 12, 2017
"Absolutely best experience ever. I switched out my current and plants to a slightly larger size and the procedure went perfectly. Excellent results excellent service excellent doctors and nurses. I would highly highly recommend this Center for any type of cosmetic or plastic surgery. They make you feel so nice about yourself, are so friendly and so energetic and upbeat. Now I know why they're reviews are so good.Special shout-out to dr. Weston, nurse Carla, nurse Jennifer, nurse shawntia, and anestist Mike. All were amazing! Don't go anywhere else, with every penny and the drive to get here."- A.L. / Yelp / Mar 09, 2018
"Best dermal filler artist I’ve ever been to! She’s amazing and so honest and great at what she does. True artist! Do you see my lips!??! My cheeks?!!! I’m addicted! Ladies she’s the bomb!"- S.S. / Google / Mar 07, 2018
"Jocelyn is a miracle worker ! She wholly has an aesthetic eye for detail and perfection. I've come to her at least four times now for non-surgical enhancement.Each time, she has taken the time to listen (and truly listen! Not cutting me off or dismissing my concerns or questions like previous medical professionals I have encountered). I usually come with a list of 5-7 questions and an ideal beauty goal in mind. She is very knowledgeable and patient. And most of all, she's realistic in her approach and practice. I appreciate that very much. She doesn't upsell procedures like other greedy doctors and nurses. As you can tell, I've had appalling experiences in the past. But, Jocelyn has shown me the light! I feel valued as a patient whenever I come into the Austin-Weston Center. I will never let anyone else touch my face but her!"- F.T. / Yelp / Feb 19, 2018
"I am so happy I chose Austin-Weston for my Mommy Makeover! Dr. Weston is quite simply one of the kindest doctors I have ever met. He did a marvelous job and I feel fabulous! The nurses that work there are fantastic as well. Friendly, kind, caring and very good at what they do. I saw Jocelyn for the first time today for Botox and she was just delightful. Highly recommend Austin-Weston!!!!! Don't bother looking anywhere else."- H.G. / Yelp / Feb 16, 2018
- Adam’s apple reduction: Also known as a tracheal shave, our plastic surgeon carefully removes thyroid cartilage from the neck to reduce or eliminate the Adam’s apple
- Brow lift: A browplasty raises and/or reshapes the eyebrows so they are higher on the face and have a clear, arched shape
- Cheek augmentation: The mid-face can be made fuller with implants or a fat transfer that increases the projection of the cheeks. A cheek reduction can improve cheeks that are too wide or strong.
- Chin recontouring: A genioplasty or mentoplasty reduces the width and height of the chin while rounding the shape
- Forehead recontouring/reduction: A feminine hairline tends to be lower, so a forehead reduction (also called a hairline lowering, scalp advancement, hairline correction, or forehead recontouring) moves the hairline to create a shorter forehead
- Jaw contouring: For a more feminine jawline, the jawbone is shaved to make the jaw narrower, shorter, and rounder
- Lip lift and reshaping: To adjust the size and proportion of the upper and lower lips to appear more feminine, the upper lip is reduced and moved higher while the fullness of the lower lip is increased with an implant or fat transfer
- Rhinoplasty: To make a more feminine nose, the length, width, and projection are reduced to best fit the proportions of the patient’s face
Facial feminization surgery can be performed under general or local anesthesia, depending on the procedures that are included in the patient’s plan. Our plastic surgeon will perform the chosen procedures at a fully accredited surgical facility using minimal incisions in less visible locations to improve the final result. Patients may be able to go home after their surgery or they may be kept for observation for 1 – 2 nights. Before the patient goes home, our plastic surgeon will schedule a follow-up appointment and go over aftercare and recovery instructions, including when the patient can return to work and exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- $10,400 - $24,350
- Recovery Time
- 1-2 Weeks
Visible Facial Scars?
All surgeries require incisions that can leave scars, but for facial feminization, our plastic surgeon will use minimal incisions that are placed in easily concealed or camouflaged areas of the face. The surgeon will also help the patient develop and follow a scar management plan that will ensure the surgical incisions heal quickly and flat. In general, patients consider the benefits from facial feminization surgery to be greater than the drawback of small scars.
To improve healing after facial surgery, patients should hold ice packs to their face for a few minutes several times each day. Patients are encouraged to keep their head elevated as much as possible. Be sure to attend the follow-up appointments the plastic surgeon schedules to check healing and progress.
During the patient’s initial consultation, our plastic surgeon will listen to the patient’s needs, concerns, and goals before assessing the face and deciding which procedures will be best in their unique facial feminization surgery. Depending on the patient’s natural face, more or less procedures may be needed to reach the best result.