I Lost A Lot Of Weight--Which Tummy Tuck Is Best For Me?
You had a goal of losing the weight and you did it! For many people, losing a significant amount of weight takes hard work and willpower to achieve the weight loss goal needed to be healthier and more fit! It is definitely something to celebrate but what if you are not celebrating what you see left behind? After losing a lot of weight, individuals can experience a new set of challenges like loose, saggy skin that looks “deflated” hanging around their midsection. The body contouring solution of a tummy tuck procedure can contour and reshape your midsection in order to remove excess skin, tighten the abdominal area, and give northern Virginia patients the post-weight loss body they always desired!
The board-certified plastic surgeons at the Austin-Weston Center of Cosmetic Surgery in Reston, VA are leading experts in the northern Virginia and Washington, DC areas on tummy tuck surgery. Their combined experience and medical backgrounds enable them to offer various tummy tuck options to cater to what their patients may need. In addition, their compassion to listen to their patients’ aesthetic goals is what makes Austin-Weston a leading plastic surgery center. If you have recently lost a lot of weight and need help with improving the appearance of your slimmer midsection then here are some helpful guidelines on which tummy tuck procedure may be the right answer for you!
Why consider a tummy tuck?
After losing a significant amount of weight, it can feel great to have more energy, be in smaller clothes, and feel more confident overall. Then, it sets in that even though you lost the weight, unfortunately your skin has stretched to accommodate your previous weight gain and is not going to snap back. Once skin has lost its elasticity and is “stretched” it won’t become tighter or less loose without the intervention of cosmetic help. One of the main reasons why individuals consider cosmetic help with a tummy tuck procedure is due to the unsightly appearance of their abdominal area after losing all the weight. This includes the appearance of hanging skin, wrinkled skin, and other skin irregularities such as stretch marks.
Body contouring after weight loss
Body contouring options like a tummy tuck are popular among individuals who have lost a significant amount of weight. Once skin becomes lax it won’t regain a taunt, tight look no matter what kind of exercising you try to do. Body contouring procedures like a tummy tuck help with skin removal and skin tightening in order to give patients a whole new look especially in their lower abdominal area. A tummy tuck can create a tighter, smoother, more toned look, which allows weight loss patients to finally reach their aesthetic goals. So after losing a significant amount of weight, what tummy tuck procedure would be the best option for you?
Consultation with the plastic surgeon
Whether you lost the weight with a healthy diet and exercise routine or bariatric surgery, the end result can leave patients feeling defeated by how their midsection may appear. Since not all patients have the same needs after they have lost a significant amount of weight, during your consultation with one of the board-certified plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston, they can help determine which option is right for you. The factors our Northern Virginia plastic surgeons consider are:
- How large is the target area?
- How much excess skin does a patient need removed in order to get the best results?
- Will a patient need liposuction to remove stubborn fatty pockets to get the best results?
There are a few tummy tuck options to consider post weight loss
Here are the most likely tummy tuck options:
- The most common is a full or “traditional” tummy tuck. The incision is from hip to hip and covers the entire lower abdominal area. It is a solution for individuals with a large area of excess skin. Liposuction can also be used to remove excess or stubborn fat cells that still remain after weight loss. This will give patients a flatter appearance to their stomach area. The underlying abdominal muscles are tightened with this procedure and the belly button is repositioned to aesthetically match with the patient’s newly tightened tummy area.
- An extended tummy tuck is another popular tummy tuck option for patients who have lost a large amount of weight and have a significant amount of excess skin to remove. This more invasive procedure involves an incision that extends to the lower back area or “flanks”. It is usually the solution for extreme weight loss patients or mothers of multiple babies (like twins, triplets, etc.). It can also involve liposuction in order to remove stubborn pockets of fatty tissue and the underlying abdominal muscles are tightened in allow for smoother, contoured appearance. The belly button, like with a traditional tummy tuck, is repositioned to aesthetically match a patient’s new look!
- A mini tummy tuck is also an option for patients with moderate skin sag. This is common for those who did in fact lose weight, but just have the need for minimal to moderate skin removal and tightening.
- Panniculectomy is a version of body contouring that varies from a traditional tummy tuck but can be an option for patients who have lost a significant amount of weight and have a large “apron” of skin that hangs in their lower abdominal area. Unlike a tummy tuck, this procedure simply removes the excess skin and doesn’t tighten the underlying abdominal muscles. A panniculectomy can be done alongside a tummy tuck procedure in order to give a patient the best end result.
Likely candidates after weight loss
A tummy tuck procedure is not a weight loss solution but if you have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for over 6 months then you can consider the cosmetic help of removing that excess fat and skin to give you a more toned, smoother looking stomach area. With today’s surgical advancements, surgeons like the ones at Austin-Weston can customize a patient’s tummy tuck procedure to give them optimal results. For women and men in Northern Virginia and the Washington, DC area there is no need to carry around that extra skin and not completely love the way you look after losing all the weight.
A tummy tuck procedure can aesthetically get you back into the game and the gym while loving the way you look! If you have lost a significant amount of weight and are interested in discussing your tummy tuck options, then call or schedule your consultation with one of our highly recommended and qualified plastic surgeons at Austin-Weston today!
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.