“While many people are familiar with lip augmentation and lip injections, a Lip Lift is very different,” says Dr. Weston. “You can lift lips just as you can lift a face.
“As we get older, the lips get longer, they turn down at the corners, they get thinner, and the area around the mouth gets loose. My talk is going to be on how to make a mouth look younger. An old mouth makes a face look old even after a facelift. If you don’t address the mouth, you can’t have a youthful face. On average, you can make a face look about five years younger by adding mouth procedures to your facial rejuvenation.
“There are several procedures my partners and I perform to increase the youth and beauty of the mouth,” Dr. Weston continues. “With the Lip Lift, we can shorten the upper lip and make an old mouth look young again, or just make an upper lip that is too long regardless of age shorter and more attractive. We can make an incision right in the crease under the nose–the resulting scar is well-hidden in the crease and is usually imperceptible–and actually shorten the upper lip and make it shorter, poutier and more youthful. So we shorten the upper lip, turn up the mouth corners with a corner mouth lift, directly excise loose skin in the nasolabial region if necessary, and we can also augment the lip at the same time to make it look fuller.
“If you look at pictures of young models in magazines, you’ll notice that they have a short upper lip and a pouty, turned-up mouth,” Dr. Weston notes. “Those are characteristics that are not achieved by simply increasing the size of the lip with injections. With lips, bigger is not always better. It’s about achieving total aesthetic harmony in the entire mouth area as well as the rest of the face.”
The founder of the Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. Harvey Austin, who retired in 2005, invented the corner mouth lift and wrote a paper on the Lip Lift in 1986 in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, the journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Adds Dr. Weston, “We have evolved these procedures over the past 25 years to make them even better, to make the scars not as noticeable, and to make the mouth even more youthful than before.
“It’s great stuff and really gratifying to see a face looking younger with just a few small mouth procedures added to facial rejuvenation procedures.”
Watch Dr. Weston’s YouTube video for a more in-depth look at the Lip Lift and perioral rejuvenation at The Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery.
The Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery.
Less than 10% of board-certified plastic surgeons specialize exclusively in cosmetic surgery. The other 90% perform reconstructive surgery and cosmetic surgery. Dr. Weston and his partners, Robert K. Sigal, M.D., and Byron D. Poindexter, M.D., perform cosmetic surgery exclusively and are one of the largest such groups in the metropolitan D.C. area.
Dr. Weston joined the Austin-Weston Center in 1987 and has served as its President since 1994. An instructor of other plastic surgeons both nationally and internationally, Dr. Weston’s innovative procedures have been included in numerous cosmetic surgery medical journals. To arrange an interview with Dr. Weston, please call our Media Relations Department at 703-230-2537.